Halmer End Village lies near to the Staffordshire Cheshire border in the parish of Audley. It was a former coal mining village in the North Staffordshire Coal Field. Today it is a place for tourists and nature lovers to visit and walk, fish or just enjoy the beauty which surrounds the village.
Coal was mined in the village as far back as the 1690s when it was taken from the Podmore Mine to Nantwich to heat the salt pans of Cheshire.
It was that industry which brought death and great sadness to the people of Halmer End and surrounding villages in 1918 when the Minnie Pit explosion occurred on 12th January killing 155 miners and one rescuer. Miners as young as 14 years of age were killed in the disaster. Most families in the village were affected by the loss of men-folk.
The Methodist Church has a plaque on its front wall which includes the names of all who died in the disaster and other plaques and memorabilia inside. There are two memorial stones mounted in the hall. One is in memory of the teachers and scholars of the former Primitive Methodist Sunday School (now Halmer End Methodist Church) and the other is in memory of the teachers and scholars of the former Wesley Place Methodist Chapel in Halmer End which was closed some years ago.
Each year, in January, the Church keeps alive the memory of those who died with a service of commemoration and an opportunity for relatives of the families to visit the Church for a time of remembrance.
Today the village benefits from the fields, woodland and lakes which were created following a long period of open-cast coal mining.
See here to purchase a copy of 'The Minnie Pit Disaster' written by Mrs. Christine Lamb.
The Methodist Church is a former Primitive Methodist Chapel. Primitive Methodists met in the village in the 1830s when Hugh Bourne, a founder member of the Primitive Methodists with William Clowes, came to the village to preach. The present Chapel was built in 1867 although there was a place of worship on the site before the present Chapel was built.
Today the Church is growing as new people come to worship regularly and play their part in the life of both the Church and Community.